Tuesday, December 13

Lament for the 52 x 9 or 9 x 52

I used to use one of these every day to go to school. I started going on my own when I was seven. On the way home, if I got off the bus one stop earlier I could save 2d, but it meant I couldn't ring the bell*. The cheaper stop was a fare stage, the more expensive one a request. But with the saving I could buy four flying saucers from the ladies in the sweet shop and eat them on the walk home. Unless it was raining. Flying saucers, rain and paper bags don't mix. Penny chews on those days. More expensive (only two), but difficult to get them both chewed and down before reaching the house.
I did this journey for five and a half years. I shall miss the No 52.
And then, when we moved, I used to get the No 9 a lot.

And now they are all gone. I'm sad.


*The bell was a hit and miss thing. Imagine the disappointment; you stay on to ring it and then someone else gets there first. Crushing. The trick was to ring it immediately the bus accelerated away from the previous stop, or passed a request stop without stopping.


Any more fares, please

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi beep! :-)

I got here following the link you so expertly inserted over at Mig's place.
Well done.

the Beep said...

all down to you Kyah - so thanks v much.