Tuesday, January 31

Itching to get on the phone, in Australia

One day, one of the Charolais bulls got out. We only found out that it had damaged the phone much later. It was only good for local calls, and wasn’t able to make international calls, but eventually one of us realised it was bust. I had visions of expensive engineers and large bills which always created a furore and much drinking and shouting with accompanying chest beating. Home from home really. But this time there was none, and after a couple more of days of no service and wifely nagging Paul said let’s go and find out what’s wrong. The cable was stretched across the yard on short poles, about 10 feet high, and then out to the road where it ran along the verge for miles and mile. We traced it across the property and along the scrub edging the road. And there as the problem: one of the poles had been pushed over by the escapee bull who had presumably decided to have a good scratch. At two tonnes of weight, there was little an Aussie telephone pole could do to resist.

In South Aus near Port Lincoln a bush qualifies as a tree if it reaches the heady heights of five foot. There were few Eucalyptus trees about, but most scrub was low lying. That meant a normal human bean of six foot or marginally less was able to get a good view of most of South Australia from any point. After all, on our farm the highest point was only 40 feet above the lowest. So from there I could see for miles. Not that I was much given to taking in the view. It was the same wherever you looked. Dust, sunshine and flies.

We brought the pole back up to vertical and stood looking at the two ends of wire. I couldn’t rid myself of the feeling that we were into something complicated and technical. I was ready to go on into Lincoln and get an engineer or someone, anyone, who could stitch the elaborate and complicated cable together. Not a bit of it. Paul parked the Landy under the break and got a bit of fencing wire and made a new section and connected it to the old wire with two knots. They were standard fencing knots; reef knots, just like they taught me in Cubs. And when we went back in and tested the phone. It worked perfectly. But I still wasn’t able to call England and tell them that I’d had enough.

To do that I had to sneak into Lincoln on my motorbike and go to the Post Office and queue for the one international line. But first I needed to book my return flight. Problem: the motorbike engine had blown up.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, how long had you been out-there in the out-back whenever it was you realised you wanted to come home; and then, how long did it take you to get home after you realised that was where you wanted to be, as opposed to where you actually were; and, how long have you been home since then; and have you ever been back, again; and is home where you are now where you'd like home to be, or would you really like to be somewhere else (if you take your favourite things with you, that is)

question mark

Anonymous said...

hey that's not fair

all those questions/comments chez moi, and you haven't answered one of mine here yet

and you're recycling your old posts

exclamation mark

word ver: what-goes-around-comes-around

the Beep said...

give me a break! I'm nursing a sick child here. I'll get round to some of your Q's in a post. But I think five months is the answer and about two weeks. The others are in Aussie or other posts.

And shoot me for asking again if anyone knows of a designer: I have a few hundred more visitors now. It's worth a try.

Anonymous said...

Well obviously you did make it back!

Sorry can't help with the designer thing. Best of luck anyway.

Anonymous said...

sorry. . .

how about the FRu jobs message board? a local newspaper, any local government websites with job vacant message boards? no local job agencies worth approaching, or are you trying to avoid paying fees?

are there any "working from home cooperatives" in your area that you sign up to?

have you read the blog of Crisiswhatcrisis? where is he based and what does he do?

I just did a blogger search using some of the key words from your post - your post didn't come up; if I was a graphic designer looking for a job, how would I find you?

who else do your clients employ for their marketing/design work, anyone you could hook up with. . .

whenever it was I worked, people from the big London based agencies were always leaving to go do their own thing in the sticks - maybe there is some kind of newletter/organisation enabling these people to network with each other, that you could contact them thru?

lots of thoughts, which I'm sure you have already had, but unfortunately I don't think I know anyone specific (apart from The Tunesmith, and he's not based in Abingdon)

the Beep said...

Yeah, why doesn't my blog come up on searches? I've asked blogger before now and had no response.